Having a missing tooth can affect your smile and consequently lower your self-confidence. With the latest dental technology, you can get dental implants that match your natural teeth. They restore your beautiful smile and enhance your facial appearance to boost your self-esteem.
If you are wondering what dental implants are or the benefits associated with them, here is what you need to know:
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are screw-shaped titanium posts that osseointegrate with your jaw. Once healed, your dentist will cement an artificial tooth to the post.
In our practice, before implant placements, a lot of consideration goes into the entire thought process to achieve proper esthetics, function, proper occlusion, and longevity. We are fortunate to have purchased a T-Scan (digital occlusion software), which helps us balance implants for appropriate function and occlusion. If you want to know more about this new technology, feel free to call us or stop by for a tour of our office. Your dentist will assess your oral health and recommend the most suitable type depending on your dental needs and other health considerations.
Stages of Dental Implants
The process involves various steps that are accomplished in 3 distinct stages:
1. Consultation: One of our experienced dentists will examine you to ensure that your oral and general health is not compromised. You must be free of gum disease and have enough supporting jawbone to begin the dental implant process. It’s also a good idea to discuss any current medical conditions with your dentist to ensure you are healthy enough for a surgical procedure. Additionally, your dentist will evaluate the condition of your teeth to help make an informed decision. An X-ray is also performed to assess bone mass. This helps determine if your bone mass can support the implants, especially if more than one tooth is missing. In our facility, we have a 3D scan that helps us check not only for adequate bone density but also the width and height of bone.
2. Dental Implant Surgery: During this stage, the damaged tooth will be removed. If your dentist determines your jawbone cannot support an implant, grafting may be necessary. If you require bone grafting, you’ll have to wait for an additional three to 5 months, depending on the location. Once the implant is placed, a temporary crown will be placed on the post. If you keep up with the proper care around the implant site, your healing time may be quicker.
3. Osseointegration: Once your jawbone heals, a dental implant fuses with your jawbone to provide a permanent root to the missing tooth. Tissues will grow around the implant to make it stronger and more stable. The process occurs naturally, but good oral hygiene is essential during recovery to prevent oral health complications. This stage also involves creating a dental crown over the titanium post. Your permanent crowns will resemble your natural teeth in size, shape, and color.
Benefits of Dental Implants
A dental implant procedure can provide the following benefits:
- They resemble your natural teeth, hence helping restore your natural facial appearance
- Restore your natural smile
- Can provide a permanent solution to missing teeth
- Eliminates the discomfort associated with removable dentures
- It helps protect your face from sagging and prevents any further bone loss.
- Implants help maintain the strength and stability of adjacent teeth.
How do you know it’s Time for a Dental Implant?
Your dentist may recommend this treatment option if you have lost one or more of your teeth. Implant placement may also be appropriate if your teeth are damaged beyond repair and need removal.
Restore Your Natural Smile at Smiles Solution of Maine
Do not let missing teeth affect your life. At Smiles Solutions of Maine, our team of dental professionals offers compassionate dental care for the whole family. We provide individualized dental care in Waterville, ME, to help you achieve your unique dental goals. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.